Learning Arabic songs helps students sound more like a native speaker by teaching them how to express ideas and emotions using the correct tone and speech pattern. The repetition involved in musical lyrics imprints on the mind common expressions that can be recalled easily and used in everyday life. Learning popular songs also can help students interact with local people as the Lebanese love to discuss music and share songs. On this course students start by learning popular children’s songs, progressing to pop music, and then to the sophisticated poetic lyrics of Fayrouz. The benefits of taking this class are:
- It introduces students to Arabic literary expressions and common metaphors.
- It provides additional insight into Arab culture.
- Students increase their knowledge of idioms and expressions.
- It improves listening comprehension skills.
- It increases student vocabulary relating to social issues and society.
- It an excellent starting point for students wishing to study Arabic literature in the future.
The course runs for three hours twice a week with a total of 30 teaching hours.