2017 Submission is Open
July 3rd – August 4th; 2017
Information and Application
The aim of this scholarship is to promote person-to-person intercultural understanding through the vernacular Arabic used in daily life. This concept is embodied in Urban Arabic, a practical linguistic system and teaching curriculum developed by Saifi Institute, that enables learners to communicate in both written and spoken Levantine Arabic.
Saifi Institute's for Urban Arabic Scholarship offers the chance for motivated learners from any background, 5 immersive weeks of intensive study at the Saifi Urban Gardens campus in Beirut. Beginner level classes up to Educated media classes. All classes are available depending on the applicant's Arabic proficiency.
Two Full Scholarships
- Urban Arabic class: 105 classroom hours (specific classes to be determined by proficiency of applicant, see course catalogue online)
- Supplementary tutoring: 5 hours
- All necessary textbooks
- Accommodation: Private room at Saifi Urban Gardens (wi-fi internet, A/C and private bath)
- Airport pickup (scholarship winners must provide with itinerary in order to arrange the pickup)
- Daily breakfast at Cafe Em Nazih (home cooked Lebanese meals)
- 1/2 price classes during a single 5-week term (Summer term 2, July 3rd – August 4th)
Note: The scholarship does not include travel to or from Lebanon, a Lebanese visa or any additional living expenses not mentioned above.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a serious interest in the vernacular Arabic of daily life and the intention to apply Levantine Arabic to future academic or professional work.
- Not a current or former Saifi Institute student
- Over 20 years old
- Scholarship winners are required to give permission to Saifi to publish their name, picture and nationality in the announcements related to the winning of 2017 Urban Arabic Scholarship
- Academic or vocational focus in the Middle East: language, society, culture, history, politics etc.
- Experience with Arabic society and/or language
- Financial need
Deadline for submission of application is March 13th.
Finalists will be contacted on or before March 31st by email for an interview, and the seven scholarship winners will be notified by April 17th.
Scholarship are responsible for obtaining their own Lebanese visa and making their own travel arrangements.The scholarship is not cash. Class, room and board (breakfast) will be provided free of charge at Saifi campusl in Beirut.
- Visa information is available on the Lebanese General Security website
Scholarship winners must arrive in Beirut on the 1st or the 2nd of July, before the actual classes begin (one or two days before the actual classes start), and are responsible for all their own travel arrangements.
Note: If the winners of the scholarship arrive earlier than the dates above. They are fully responsible to arrange their own accommodation until their hotel reservation is activated.
All needs beyond those explicitly provided by the scholarship - health, dietary, travel, etc. - are the responsibility of the applicant.
See the Living in Beirut section of our website for more information about Beirut, living costs and visas.