This is the second level in our Formal Arabic program which uses Book 2 of the Al-Kitaab series. It develops students’ knowledge of grammar, widens their vocabulary and provides knowledge of Arabic literary and cultural history. On this course students learn the past and imperative tenses, how to use كان and إنَّ, the passive tense, all the remaining verb forms, the verbal and object nouns, adverbs of time and place, and how to use cases. On completion of this level students are able to:
- Discuss topics of general interest.
- Understand the purpose of the different verb forms and use them correctly.
- Identify some verbs by their root form.
- Read, write and speak with increased grammatical accuracy.
- Start using an Arabic dictionary.
- Read and understand the main ideas in non-technical writing.
- Write essays and opinion pieces on topics studied.